Translate

24 January 2011

May I Have This Dance?

I thought I'd post this after ending my last entry along the tunes of feeling like we dance together. I wrote this as Thane's guide training and my dependence upon him while moving beyond loss was coming together into the phase of a *green* team.

~ ~ ~
May I have this dance?
I can work this job
Youth on my side--
spunky yet agile
I halt in perfection
saluting
steel on wheels

Differences of style
not mistakes
unique
attributes of me

I zag
where he zigged
sway as a boat
on calm seas
try to pace traffic
just my immaturity

Sharp
head turns left
watch that cup tossed aside
cart blocks the way
hedge protruding
a twig or a branch
oh my--
construction ahead

Whoa!
Hard Halt!
Pardon--
that speedsters way fast!

Sirens approach
Hard Halt, quick sit
as 9-1-1 I instruct

Each outing new
as a competitive course
head turns slightly
be it right
be it left
directional cues
the path I must choose

Each crossing
High alert
be they patient
or rude
no need to hurry
your safety
my concern

Entrances a puzzle
single door
double door
automatic
buzz us in
new challenges await

Each turn of my head
a distant world I relate
Through eyes, ears, paws,tail
every movement a cue
in my role for you

Girthed in harness
or just fur
my role as your guide
as a nose nuzzling friend
unconditional love
a bond tightly formed
time, training, and trust
independence
comes with each step

Accept me, for me
it's time for my chance
give me this job
I really can dance!

by Karyn E LaGrange
copyright July 2008 

No comments:

Post a Comment